Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Under The Tuscan Sun

Ciao Lovelies,

This past weekend, rather than leave the country, I began to explore the different cities in Italy. Staying in the region of Tuscany, a small group of friends and I took a train down on Saturday morning to the quaint town of Lucca where we spent the day browsing through an outdoor thrift market (picture a very large garage sale that spans about 10 city blocks,) sitting at an outdoor cafe eating paninis and gelato and watching all of the little children playing, and bicycle riding around the outskirts of the town. My favorite part was definitely the bike riding - I haven't been on a bike in years and the experience of having the wind in your hair with the beautiful mountain scenery on my right side was the closest to feeling "free" as can possibly be.





 



On Sunday, I found myself wine tasting in Montepulciano, a town famous for it's red wine. It was just myself and another friend but we had an awesome time tasting the differences between the different ages of wines and sampling some cheeses and appetizers. We stayed in Montepulciano for the first three hours where we went into one winery the it was off the explore Pienza, a small little town that has remained the same since the Renaissance when Pope Pius II, credited for rebuilding the small town, left and died before returning. Our final stop was in Monticello where we went into our second winery and sampled four red wines, one white desert wine, and grappa. Needless to say, the old man that owned the winery succeeded in getting the tour group giggly and red in the cheeks.




Grape Earrings - The perfect accessory for wine tasting!


When we got home at the end of the long day, it was raining in Florence, so I had to walk very quickly the 20 minute walk home. It was such a fun day and ultimately a very fun weekend. Next week, my Binghamton best friend and roomie, Meg is coming to visit Florence on her spring break (she is currently studying the semester in London) and I am going to continue exploring the cities of Italy by going up north to Milan for fashion week and Venice for Carnivale.

Ciao For Now!
Eternally yours,
Stephanie

2 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

That looks like so much fun! I want to go!!! :(
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Maddy said...

Look at you, bike riding in Italy!! I bet that moment was surreal! Like, am I really here? Is this really happening?! I know I would pinch myself to see if it was true :)