Thursday, May 20, 2010

Central Park Picnic

Hello Dolls,

Since being home from school and still not being able to find a job, I have been basically mosey about in the house doing a lot of nothing. With a list of things I want to do in the summer yet no realistic way to fund them, the need for employment has been growing. So to get out of sweatpants, out of the house, and out of an unproductive mood, I went down into Manhattan today just so I can get a change of scenery from my house. Since there was goregous weather outside I took the opportunity to wear this orange dress I've been dying to put on. I orignially wanted to wear it to the wedding in Arizona but accidentally left it in the laundry room after it was ironed.








P.S. Sorry I look so serious! The self timer on my camera was too fast for me :)

I am wearing: Dress: (Burlington); Sandals: (I.F.) Sunglasses: (Betsey Johnson); Bag: (Juicy Couture)

Casey, my Black Lab/Chow Mix decided she wanted to get in on the photoshoot :)

Walking through the streets of the city I felt confident and fabulous. There is just something about the city air that you can't help but be in a happy place. It doesn't have quite the effect that Disney World has, as that will always be the happiest place on earth, but it sure does come close. On the train ride down to 86th Street, I was reading a book from my summer reading list. It is called First Love and it is a book that I randomly picked up since it's plot was about two ballet dancers falling in love. I'm only a couple of chapters in but I am already in love with it! It takes place in Manhattan in 1981 and a quote caught my attention that I thought I might share:

He had lived in oldier cities, in St. Petersburg, in Monte Carlo, in Paris, but he preferred New York and the city had, in return, conferred her favor upon him.

The saying is nothing special, but I felt that I could relate to it because as much as I want to travel and experience the world and the magnificent cities that are out there, I would want New York to be my home base, the place I return to at night.

I went down by myself today, partly because I wanted some alone time, partly because nobody was available: everyone was either in school or at work. It was impossible to snap pictures of myself in central Park because I would have felt kind of ridiculous asking a stranger to snap a picture of me posing or putting my camera on a self timer, soinstead I took some pictures of the area I sat in in Central Park.

After walking down up and down the avenues, I entered the park at 60th street and wandered around a bit. I passed through the Central Park Children's Zoo and seeing all of the small excited children can't help but make you smile. :) I sat down in this little area ( seen in these pictures) and ate a pre-made sandwhich that I brought from home; I didn't want to eat in a restaurant by myself. It was so peaceful and relaxing, munching on my sandwhich and reading First Love. There was a saxaphone player nearby and I intended to drop some change into his case but he left before I finished which made me regret not getting up earlier. Maybe fate will make me run into him again!

I didn't want to leave too late since I wouldn't be allowed to take the subway after dark (Momma's too protective) so I left just before dinner time. The subways were crowded because of people coming home from work so I squeezed in but managed to make it back in time. I was exhausted from walking around all day and couldn't wait to crash. I'm definitley going to bed earlier tonight so I can hopefully have another productive day of doing...?

Hope Everyone Has A Lovely Tomorrow!

12 comments:

Closet Fashionista said...

That looks so fun, love the outfit too!
I wish I was brave enough to go into the city on my own, its a bit harder for me though, gotta drive to the train then sit for an hour...haha
I only went alone once, for a very special occasion XD (was interviewing the stars at the HP 6 premiere)
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/
(thanks for the comment on my blog! :D)

Maddy said...

Nice way to spend the day! I wish I could just go to Central Park on a random day of the week too :( Oh well! I'll be there tomorrow with my niece and nephews!

daisychain said...

I adore the colour of your dress!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

What a cute dress!

Couture Carrie said...

Cute dress, darling!

Picnics are the best :)

xoxox,
CC

Cafe Fashionista said...

The way you describe walking through the city; and the fabulous dress you're wearing...I truly can't help but to think of Carrie Bradshaw. Love love!! :)

A♥ said...

i just had a picnic in central park last sunday!! it was wonderful!! hehe hmm summer time in new york = picnics in central park =)

myblissisthisway

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I love the color of your dress!! It's so pretty on you!! I wish I could live in New York! Walking in central park sounds so relaxing and fun!! xoxoxoxoxo

S.Elisabeth said...

Oh this sounds like such an enchanting day (and I MUST check out that book!) I have loved Manhattan every time I've visited (sadly only about once a year!), and if I live in America I believe it to be the place for me! The hustle and bustle and beauty of it all just makes me want to be there all the time!

And LOVE the dress!

Denisa L said...

hope you'll find a job soon dear!
cute dress!

Anna Jane said...

Love the peachy orange! I'm such a sucker for floaty dresses.

- Anna Jane xxx
(PixelatedBlonde.com)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

How fun! I want to picnic in Central Park...heck I just want to go to NY period! Never been =(

p.s. I am hosting a giveaway, be sure to stop by and check it out!